This feature of Self Clean Samsung washer helps clean the drum or tub inside the washer without using various chemicals for the process. It helps easy cleaning and reduces the risk of leftover chemicals in cleaning itself. You can complete this cleaning process with simple steps, as indicated in this guide. However, it is necessary to have a clear idea about the need for Self Clean and how it is being done. Keep your washer clean and free from any molds and smells to ensure hygiene and optimize the performance of the appliance.
What is Self Clean?
It may not be easy for you to clean the Samsung washing machines by accessing everywhere in the drum. Therefore, you can use this Samsung washer Self Clean feature to clean the appliance. This advanced option comes in handy as you don’t need to clean the washing machine with the old traditional ways. Samsung’s manufacturer does not recommend using vinegar and certain other cleaning chemicals. This is followed in the Self Clean Samsung washer as it does not need you to spray these cleaning products.
This also gives you the privilege of not having to deal with the wastewater. It uses the minimum amount of water and cleans efficiently. Although you may prefer to clean your washer manually, it should be noted that regular maintenance and manual cleaning cannot ensure that the drum is cleaned completely. The Self Clean guarantees that the washer is clean and the appliance is up to the required satisfactory conditions. Therefore, if you need any other repair or maintenance in the washer, you align with Samsung’s warranty policy.
How to Self Clean Samsung Washer?
You can Self Clean Samsung washer as indicated in this procedure.
- To start a Self Clean cycle, you first need to make sure that the washing machine is plugged into power.
- Then confirm that the washer tub is empty and press the power button to turn it on.
- Next, press Self Clean and Start, respectively.
- If you notice soap suds in the washer, then you may need to run a second cycle of Self Clean as well.
- A Self Clean cycle takes around one hour to end in a top load washer and four hours for a front load washer.
- After this, your washer will be cleaned and ready to go with a load of laundry.
Self Clean with Bleach
In the presence of mold buildup or bad odors coming from your washing machine, you should use liquid chlorine bleach with the Self Clean cycle. Make sure to load the chlorine bleach into the detergent container and not the bleach container. Here’s how you can clean your washer with bleach.
- Check whether there is nothing inside the washer and plug it into the power.
- Then turn it on using the power button and pour the liquid bleach into the detergent container up to its max fill line.
- Press Self Clean and then press Start.
- Wait for one hour in top loader washing machines and four hours for the Samsung front load washer Self Clean cycle to end.
- Wipe the washing machine tub and then run a rinse and spin cycle to clean the washer again.
- Open the washer lid and the detergent container, allowing the parts to air dry.
- Then in front loaders, you can clean the pump filter to end the process.
If you need to reset the Samsung Self Clean cycle, all you need to do is disconnect the washer from the power source. You can do it by unplugging the washing machine or turning off the relevant circuit breaker. Then wait for about 5 – 10 minutes before you restore power to the machine, which will reset the cycle.
How Often Should You Self Clean Your Washer?
Keeping the washer clean helps secure your hygiene while increasing the longevity of the appliance. The Samsung washer Self Clean feature supports you and keeps it clean as per the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you don’t clean and carry out other maintenance functions on a routine basis, this feature is ideal for you. You can clean the washing machine drum and other interior parts with the least effort and increase the lifespan of your washer.
For anyone using the washing machine every other day, the manufacturer recommends using the Self Clean cycle on the Samsung washing machine once a month. If the washing machine is used daily or several times per day, it should be self-cleaned after a certain number of wash loads.
- The recommendation for top load washing machines is to use the Self Clean cycle after twenty wash loads. This is approximately once every two weeks for two laundry loads each weekday.
- In Samsung front load washer, Self Clean should be used after every forty loads. So, two wash loads every weekday will make this approximately once a month.
Is it Good to Use Vinegar for Cleaning?
Despite being a popular agent for many cleaning purposes, it is not recommended to use vinegar for cleaning washing machines with or without the Self Clean cycle. You can use the factory-designed Self Clean cycle with liquid chlorine bleach. This is to avoid damage to the machine’s interior components and ensure its durability.
Signs Your Washer Needs Cleaning
If your washer is not cleaned for a long time, the leftover suds and other debris can cause a bad odor due to moisture accumulated inside. You can figure out that your washer needs cleaning if you encounter the following situations.
- The washer emits a bad smell that won’t go away even after a wash load.
- Mold and mildew were found inside the drum.
- Clothes washed by your washer have a bad moldy odor.
- The Self Clean light is illuminated or blinks continuously.
If you ever wondered why the Self Clean light is blinking all of a sudden, it is an indication of the time to run the Self Clean cycle. This is an inbuilt feature programmed for the notification light. As the Self Clean light blinks to notify you when it is time to clean the washing machine, you don’t always need to remember the number of loads you washed and how much more to go for you to reach the Self Clean.
The Self Clean light activates after twenty wash loads, even in front load washers, although they need it only after forty loads. Even if you don’t run the Self Clean cycle, the light will stop blinking after five loads. However, it will start to blink again after completing another twenty loads. This is how the pre-installed program is designed to deliver the notification.
Although you can ignore this Self Clean light, it is necessary to use this feature and clean your washing machine as recommended by the manufacturer. If proper cleaning is not carried out on your washer, it can accumulate debris on the washing machine drum and other components. Then this will require professional cleaning as you cannot clean the debris built with normal cleaning cycles.
How Does the Samsung Self Clean Work?
After activating the Self Clean feature, the Samsung washer will first soak the tub with water. This helps in loosening the dirt and mold accumulated in it. Then, the tub spins at high speed to detach the loosened debris, which will be washed away with the draining water. It is not necessary to use any detergents or cleaning products to help the self-cleaning process. However, you may use liquid chlorine bleach to support this cleaning in certain situations.
What to do when Self Clean isn’t working?
Keeping your washing machine clean helps not only to prevent mold formation but also to avoid odors from lingering inside the washer. But if this function fails to work correctly, you may have difficulty cleaning the appliance. You can figure out that the Self Clean function is not at its best if you can smell a bad odor even after cleaning your washer.
If you find your clothes not being washed properly, you need to use the Self-Clean cycle to clean the washer first. But if your washer fails to clean your clothes properly even after this, then you can confirm that the Self Clean feature is not operating as it should. In this case, you can troubleshoot this by following the steps indicated here.
- First, run a standard Self Clean cycle.
- Then run a rinse and spin cycle.
- Wash a light load of laundry
- Run a Self Clean cycle again, but with bleach
- Run a rinse and spin cycle again to clean the washer
- Try washing a light load of laundry again.
After all these steps, check whether the problem is solved, and if the problem appears to continue, you may need to contact professional support to get it fixed.
Useful Tips to Keep Your Washer in Good Condition
- It is recommended to keep the main door and detergent drawer slightly ajar after you run a cycle to let the components air dry. This prevents mold buildup in your washing machine.
- You can keep your washer clean and fresh by occasionally running a hot water cycle. This is ideal if you mostly run col cycles, as hot water helps to dissolve the detergent residues and other greasy buildups.
- Clean the detergent drawer once in a while as it can also get soiled by residues. Remove the dispensers, rinse them and brush away any residues built over time. This helps in improving the overall performance of the washing machine.
- You can also inspect the pump filter in your washer and clean it as necessary.
- Cleaning the washer’s exterior using a damp cloth and mild detergent can help remove blemishes. Wipe it in a circular motion to remove the spots, and then wipe it clean with a dry microfiber cloth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you add detergent to Self Clean Samsung washer?
It is not necessary to add any cleaner when running Self Clean. But you may need to add liquid chlorine bleach to the detergent dispenser if your washer has a bad smell or if you see traces of mold and mildew formed inside the tub.
What does the Self Clean do on a Samsung washer?
The Samsung washer Self Clean feature soaks the tub in water and spins at high speed to remove accumulated dirt and debris. This helps clean the washing machine regularly to keep the washer clean and hygienic.
Can vinegar harm your washing machine?
Although vinegar is popularly used as a fabric softener or removing stains and odors in laundry, it may damage washing machines’ rubber seals and hoses. This results in leaks and damages to the components and requires the replacement of various parts.
Why do washers smell moldy?
Your washer may smell moldy if debris gets accumulated inside the washer and builds up mold over time. This often happens as dirt and oils from clothes build up in the rubber gaskets of the washer. This is where mold grows and causes a smelly washer tub.
As you have gained sound knowledge on how to clean Samsung washer using the Self Clean option, you can use this feature to enhance the performance of your washer. Use it as recommended, depending on the type of your washer, to ensure cleanliness. However, if you cannot overcome any mildews or odors even after using this feature, you may need professional advice.
Here’s how you can fix Samsung washer VRT spin cycle problems easily by yourself. Although Samsung is a highly reputed brand for its reliability in household appliances, it may encounter certain issues over time. In addition to problems in washing machines, refrigerators might also cause inconveniences at times. If you find your Samsung refrigerator ice maker not dumping ice, you can also use this guide to troubleshoot your refrigerator.