Treadmill lubricant alternatives can be chosen either as silicone spray or wax. The wax comes in the form of wax powder or bar, while the spray comes as a separate liquid as well. Some treadmill manufacturers recommend the use of treadmill wax for their machines. Therefore, it is necessary to check the manufacturer’s manual for instructions on which lubricant should be used. This is necessary to avoid any possible damages to the equipment. Avoid using petroleum-based lubricants as they have a lingering odor and can even damage the treadmills.
Waxing the Treadmill Deck
You can either use a wax powder or a wax stick to lubricate the belt of your treadmill. Some treadmill owners prefer this as it is easy to remove during cleaning before relubrication. Older machines would need more wax than the newer treadmills. As you have these two wax options, find out what suits you better and how to apply it.
- Wax Powder: Loosen the treadmill belt by loosening the back roller. Next, sprinkle some wax powder in between the belt and deck. Do this for either side of the track. Afterward, tighten up the belt and allow the treadmill to run at a low speed for some time to spread the lubricant evenly. Test the functionality and confirm that there is no slipping on the track while running. If you find that the track is still slippery, tighten up both sides of the back rollers.
- Wax Stick or Bar: Before applying this, you need to warm up the treadmill for about 15 to 20 minutes. Check that your lubrication gets all the way across by shining a flashlight. Wipe away any lubricants that get on the belt with a towel to avoid any accidents of slipping.
Recommended Treadmill Wax Powder
TreadLife Fitness Powder Wax
TreadLife Fitness Powder Wax efficiently stops unwanted noises of your treadmill by reducing friction and can be applied easily. It can be used for roughly 3+ applications and is ideal for treadmills that require dry belt wax. It has a high rating of 4.5 out of 5 for its performance.
- It can use for 3+ applications.
- Reduces costly repairs
- Eliminates squeaky sounds
- Extends belt and motor life
Silicone Lubrication for Treadmills
It is recommended to use 100% silicone for lubricating the machine belt. It is available in a variety of products made especially for treadmill belts. It comes in the form of both liquid and a spray. The spray can be applied more conveniently. Here are the steps you need to follow when lubricating with a 100% silicone spray.
- Remove the cap of the spray tube and attach it to the spray nozzle.
- Spray the lubricant towards the center of the belt while holding up the belt.
- Turn a portion of the belt from the underside and spray some lubricant again.
- Repeat the step 2 and 3 on the opposite side of the treadmill.
Recommended Silicone Lubricant
Spot On Silicone Lubricant
Spot On Silicone Lubricant has excellent flow control in the application. It helps in noise reduction and has a cap design that can be opened easily. There are two dispensing options in the squeezable treadmill lubricant. These caps match the silicone viscosity and have ideal flow control. The 8-inch extension tube cap is suitable for full-width lubrication under the belt. It is not necessary to loosen the belt when applying this. This is ideal for all treadmills requiring non-petroleum silicone-based lubricant. It is sealed with a ribbed flat cap for safe shipping. You can purchase the product with confidence as it comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Original applicator tube
- Universal 100% silicone
- Eliminates mess
- 4 oz bottle for 4 applications
- Non-toxic and odor-free
- If needed, have to buy a hose applicator separately
IPO Multi-Purpose Lubricant
This multipurpose lubricant for treadmills is a 100% pure silicone acrylic pouring oil that comes with an applicator tube which makes it easy to use. The slimmer profile of the elongated bottle gives more control over the working. It can also be used for bike chains and hinges as well. It is toxin-free and stays stable even at high temperatures to protect the treadmill. It is environment friendly helps the smooth and quiet function of the treadmill. It can be applied easily without loosening the belt and won’t stain any fabric or change the color of the paint as it is completely colorless. It is an ideal choice for lubricating treadmills.
- Environment friendly
- Clear and colorless
- Works with almost all major brands
- Easy application with narrower bottle
- Twist nozzle for precise application
- The nozzle may leak sometimes.
- Applicator hose not provided
Here are some other lubricants that can be used for this purpose. However, the use of these lubricants should be done only upon the proper recommendation of the treadmill manufacturer. Improper lubricants may affect the machine and reduce its durability.
- Cooking Oil: Any type of oil such as olive, canola, coconut
- Vaseline: It works well in almost all situations as it is a universal lubricant
- Automobile Grade Grease: This is highly rated standard grease used in automobiles
- White Lithium Grease: This is also a good lubricant
- Teflon Spray: This is widely used in automobiles
- PTFE Spray: This might not be a great option in terms of lubricating the treadmill
- Dielectric Grease: This is a type of grease that is ideal for use on treadmills
When to Apply for Maximum Performance?
It is recommended to apply silicone spray every 3 months or 40 hours of use for the maximum performance of your treadmill. It would help the machine to last longer and use efficiently. You should also lubricate your treadmill before long-term storage.
How Much to Apply?
The amount of silicone applied on the treadmill is also important. The recommendation is to apply 1 ounce of spray for each application. As it cannot be measured when spraying, you can spray until every part of the belt is covered with enough spray. Before the application, dust and clean it with warm water and cloth.
Picking an Applicator
Picking an applicator that helps lubrication easily and effective is very important. Some applicators have a specialized attachment or hose that allows lubricant to reach under the belt easily. It would be beneficial as the treadmill lubricant alternative can be applied without pulling the machine apart.
Tips For After Lubrication
- Do not fold up the treadmill immediately after you apply silicone lubrication. Unabsorbed lubricants may run down and drip on the floor. So use it for about 5 miles before folding after lubrication.
- Check whether your machine needs more silicone after one and three days, as multiple applications might be needed if the cotton underlayer is not saturated.
- If the belt or deck is already damaged, lubrication might help but would not solve the issue completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use any lubricant on a treadmill?
It is recommended by manufacturers to use only 100% silicone for lubricating the machines as it helps to increase longevity.
What happens if you don’t lubricate a treadmill?
Treadmill silicone lubricants help reduce friction between the belt and the motor. This extends the track life significantly. If it is not lubricated, the belt would get brittle and might even break the machine.
What happens if you overlubricate a treadmill?
Improper lubrication of the treadmill would cause premature degradation of the treadmill belt. So it is recommended to apply the standard amount of 1 ounce of silicone lubrication for treadmills.
Can I Use WD 40 Silicone On My Treadmill?
Oils or chemicals such as WD 40 might cause wear and tear. Even though some people recommend using Teflon, which is a silicone-based synthetic lubricant, it should only be used only upon the manufacturer’s directions.
Why does the treadmill stop suddenly?
Lubrication is necessary to reduce the friction between the platform and belt. The treadmill would automatically stop when this friction is increased beyond a certain level. This might be the reason for the machine to stop working suddenly.
How do I know if my treadmill needs lubricant?
Touch the deck surface under the walking belt, and you would feel a waxy or oily coat of lubrication. If you cannot feel the residue of lubrication from the previous application, then you might have to apply lubrication t your treadmill.
Newer models of treadmills are factory coated with high-performance lubricant and do not require any additional lubrication. So application of silicone spray on such models would cause excessive wear.
Proper maintenance of the treadmill is necessary for the longevity of the machine. Use of proper treadmill lubricant alternative can increase its life. However, make sure to read the specific manual of the brand before you decide on what lubricant to apply. Avoid grease and petroleum-based lubricants as they have a strong smell that affects your lungs. They can also damage the treadmills. So the best solution is proper silicone lubrication for treadmills.
In case you are replacing your old worn-out treadmill or planning to buy a new one, here are some of the Worst Treadmill Brands that you need to avoid at all costs.