If you are looking for a solution when your Frigidaire dishwasher won’t start, you can go through this guide to find the troubleshooting methods. Just like all other dishwashers, Frigidaire is also not completely immune to faults. However, very often, they might not be serious malfunctions, and you would be able to solve them quickly and easily. So if your dishwasher will not start, you can start diagnosing the problem by starting with the power inspection. Make sure to disconnect the appliance from power before you troubleshoot. Use relevant PPEs and safety precautions to avoid any personal harm or injury.
Power Supply Problem
- 1 Power Supply Problem
- 2 Lock Button Issue
- 3 Water Supply Issues
- 4 Door Latch Problem
- 5 Incorrect Dishwasher Settings
- 6 Electric Control or Timer
- 7 Frigidaire Dishwasher Lights On But Won’t Start
- 8 Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Working, No Lights On The Panel
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 Conclusion
Sometimes the dishwasher might not start, not due to its fault, but because it doesn’t get the required power supply. You can ensure the correct connectivity of power by performing these simple checks.
- Plug the dishwasher directly into an electrical outlet on the wall. Do not use extension cords to plug your dishwasher, as they cannot accommodate the required voltage.
- Double-check that the power switch is turned on beneath the sink if necessary.
- Confirm that the dishwasher’s circuit breaker has not tripped off.
- Check the junction box on the right side of the dishwasher and make sure the power cables are connected properly.
- Then you should check the thermal fuse located behind the control panel. It prevents the control board from overheated and might have shorted out. Test the thermal fuse for continuity using a multimeter. If it is defective, you can replace the thermal fuse as follows.
- Turn off the breaker before you start troubleshooting.
- Open the door and carefully remove the control panel housing.
- Disconnect the thermal fuse from the control board.
- Replace the thermal fuse with a new one.
- Connect the two wires of the new thermal fuse directly to the control board.
Lock Button Issue
A defective lock button is another reason why the Frigidaire dishwasher would not function. If you observe that the Frigidaire dishwasher lights are on but won’t start, the dishwasher might be locked. To use it, you should press the lock button for 3 seconds to unlock it. Many models use a dry heat pad to lock, while other models have a control lock. The lock is activated by the pad if there are lock lights on near the Heat Dry Pad.
Water Supply Issues
A low-pressure water supply can also result in your dishwasher not starting the cycle. To check whether the water supply is the problem, you can diagnose it as follows.
- Before getting deep into the matter, check and ensure that the water supply valve is on. If this valve is tight and will not move, you would have to replace it.
- Inspect the water supply hoses and straighten any bent or kinks present. If you find that the hose is damaged, you should replace it.
- Measure the water supply pressure to your home using a pressure gauge. It requires a minimum pressure of 20 psi for the valve to function properly. If it is below this, you would have to increase the water pressure to solve the problem.
Door Latch Problem
The dishwasher door latch has a safety feature to avoid starting the cycle in any case where the door has not closed properly. It is to prevent any water leakage and other possible hazards. However, a malfunctioning door latch would prevent the switch from activating and transmitting power to the control panel. Hence, the Frigidaire dishwasher won’t start, and this issue can be solved by replacing the door latch switches. Test them for continuity using a multimeter and replace them if they are defective.
Here is how you can test the dishwasher’s door latch assembly.
- Start this by turning off the appliance from power and unplugging it.
- Remove the inner door panel and access the door latch assembly located on top of the door. Examine the door catch’s ability to activate the door latch switches.
- Set your multimeter on Rx1 and contact its probes to the terminals of the switch. If a zero reading or a value close to zero doesn’t show, then the latch assembly is defective and should be replaced.
Incorrect Dishwasher Settings
Your dishwasher will not start if you haven’t selected a cycle or if you have selected the wrong cycle. Check whether you have selected incorrect settings using the following tips.
- Double-check whether a cycle is selected and then press start afterward.
- Some dishwasher models prevent immediate start with a delayed start option or child lock setting. Check your display panel to find whether these codes are displayed. If it shows that these settings are activated, you should press Cancel before starting the correct cycle.
- The signal transmission of your dishwasher will be affected if the touchpad or control panel gets wet. This issue can be solved with necessary replacements by a professional service.
Electric Control or Timer
Your Frigidaire dishwasher won’t start due to a faulty timer. However, you would not hear the drain motor function when you start your dishwasher in some cases. So you would have to examine the electric control or the timer.
On manual models, the timer sends power to the dishwasher’s heater circuit and pump motor. It also transmits signals to the drain pump motor and water inlet valve at the right time in the cycle. This timer is powered by a small motor and is located inside the timer housing of the dishwasher. It functions with a chain of electrical contacts that transmit the signals.
If you think the dishwasher’s timer is defective, you can test it for continuity using a multimeter. First, examine the timer by following the steps indicated.
- Remove the appliance from the power source by unplugging it.
- Locate the timer within the control panel or behind the lower kick plate of the dishwasher and remove it.
- Some timer models have various sets of wires and contacts. So if your dishwasher has these types of contacts, you should use the wiring diagram to determine the exact type of contacts to test.
- Adjust the multimeter settings to Rx1000 and attach the probes with the contacts. Timers that function properly should have a resistance ranging from 2000 to 3500 ohms. Use your user manual to identify the exact resistance reading that should be present in your timer.
- If the test result does not match your manufacturer’s recommendation, you would have to replace the timer of your dishwasher.
Frigidaire Dishwasher Lights On But Won’t Start
Sometimes your Frigidaire dishwasher has lights on but won’t respond to the start button. Maybe the Heat Dry, High Temp, or other buttons would flash but not start the relevant function. This might be due to a problem with the touchpad or ribbon cable attached to the touchpad. Even though the control board is sealed, the moisture might have got inside and corroded the ribbon cable contacts. You can locate the ribbon cable by disassembling the front panel. Then, clean the ribbon cable contacts and fix them back. If this does not solve the issue, then the touchpad would have to be replaced.
Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Working, No Lights On The Panel
In another situation, the Frigidaire dishwasher has no lights and would not respond to any button on the panel. Start troubleshooting by checking the junction box connections under the dishwasher. There is a possibility of losing the connection as wires get burnt after some time due to improper installation. Make sure to unplug your dishwasher or turn off the breaker before you conduct any troubleshooting. After a proper inspection, you can remove the burnt wire and reconnect with a new connector.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you reset a Frigidaire dishwasher?
Frigidaire dishwasher can be reset by pressing and holding the cancel button for 3 seconds or until the light disappears from the display. The cancel button can be located on the far right side of the control panel.
How do I run a diagnostic on my Frigidaire dishwasher?
The dishwasher should be in idle mode to run a diagnostic. Press the Hi-Temp Wash button and Start/ Cancel button for half a second, and then the test mode will start. Make sure you press the buttons correctly, or the diagnostic mode might not turn on.
What does PF mean on the Frigidaire dishwasher?
The error code PF stands for Power Failure, and it appears during a power interruption. It is also displayed when a dishwasher is installed first installed. Hi-Temp Wash and No Heat Dry indicator lights will also flash, and press the Start/ Cancel button to clear it.
In Frigidaire dishwasher troubleshooting, it is always beneficial to know the cause before you contact your technician. Knowing the condition of the problem would help you make the cost estimations of repair or replacements. Since maintenance of dishwasher is necessary, this guide would help save your time in repairs. However, if you find it inconvenient to handle it yourself, you should contact a professional for assistance.
You would also find it useful to know the Worst Dishwasher Brands that must be avoided when purchasing.