KitchenAid refrigerator water filter change is necessary to ensure the safety of the water dispensed. The water filter in the refrigerator screens out impurities from the water supply used for the water dispenser and the ice maker. But sometimes this water filter can get contaminated with impurities and pass them into the refrigerator’s water. Therefore, make sure to replace the water filter at the necessary time to ensure your health and hygiene. For this, you need to locate the filter and know how to replace it correctly.
Importance of Changing a KitchenAid Refrigerator Water Filter
- 1 Importance of Changing a KitchenAid Refrigerator Water Filter
- 2 When to Replace the Water Filter?
- 3 Changing Filter by Model Number
- 4 What to Do When the Water Filter Won’t Come Out?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
Replacement of the water filter is a basic task in maintaining your refrigerator. It ensures that the water coming from your refrigerator is clean and safe for consumption. KitchenAid refrigerator filter change is an easy task that you can do conveniently at home. But it is often neglected by homeowners due to the lack of knowledge on factors such as the type of filter, when to replace, and the replacement method. So first, find out all you need to know about KitchenAid refrigerator water filter replacement.
When to Replace the Water Filter?
The normal recommendation is to replace the water filter in your refrigerator every 6 months or after every 300 gallons. But you can refer to your user manual to find your KitchenAid refrigerators filter replacement period recommended by the manufacturer. It would also have the necessary procedure for buying the correct model and how to install the new filter. But very often, people seek advice on water filter replacement only after problems arise. So if you haven’t changed your refrigerator’s water filter yet, there might be some signs you have noticed related to this. First, check whether you encountered the following situations in your refrigerator. If so, it indicates the necessity of KitchenAid refrigerators filter replacement.
- The indicator light of the filter is illuminated.
- The ice maker is not making ice.
- Ice cubes are made small and have odd shapes.
- It takes a long time for dispensing water than before
- Water from the dispenser has a bad smell or taste.
Changing Filter by Model Number
Check the refrigerator water filter model and find the correct method of replacement indicated here.
- In this model, the water filter cover is located in the upper right corner of the refrigerator.
- Start by gently lifting the filter door and removing it by pulling it out.
- The next step is to take off the protective coverings from the O-rings on your new filter. Ensure the O-rings are correctly positioned and not misplaced after the cover is removed.
- Insert the new filter into the slot so that the arrow points upward.
- You will notice that the filter door will start closing as you insert the new filter. Do not force in the water filter if it doesn’t slide in easily. Instead, try rotating it to align the notches with the grooves properly. This will help it to move in easily.
- Finally, push the filter door closed, and it will snap it into place.
- After this KitchenAid refrigerator water filter replacement, dispense about four gallons of water through the line. This ensures that the new filter is flushed properly and ready for use.
- The water filter cover is located inside your refrigerator’s upper right corner. If the filter is located in the lower-left corner next to the temperature-controlled drawer, you must follow a different mechanism.
- Pull the filter door to open and then pull the old filter, making sure it is angled down. You need to turn it to the left and pull. After removing, you can discard this old filter.
- Take off the cap in the new filter and carefully remove the protective coverings from the O-rings. Make sure the O-rings are in place as you remove the cover.
- Make sure the arrow points up as you insert the new filter into the filter slot. You will see that the filter begins to rotate on its own as you push it in.
- Then push the filter door to close, and it will snap into place.
- As you have replaced the filter, you should dispense four gallons of water through it to ensure proper flushing of the new filter.
- The filter cover of this model is found on the left side of the refrigerator’s base grille.
- You can release the filter by pushing the ejection button. Then turn the black filter cap clockwise to remove it, but don’t discard it.
- Take out the old filter by pulling it out and dispose it.
- Remove the cap from the new filter and make sure not to misplace the O-rings when doing this.
- Place the previously removed black filter cap on the new cartridge. Ensure that the ridges align and lock them in place by turning the cap clockwise.
- Check that the arrow indicated on it points up as you insert the new filter in the place. The eject button will pop back out as you push it in, indicating that the filter is correctly installed.
- After this KitchenAid refrigerator filter change, you should run about four gallons of water through the line. This is to properly flush the new filter and make it ready for use.
- This model has the water filter cover in the upper right, roof section inside the refrigerator.
- Pull down the filter cover of your refrigerator if the filter tab is facing outward. But if the tab is on the bottom of the cover, you need to pull the small lever forward and then down to open the cover.
- Remove the old filter by turning it left and pulling it out. If this installation is done first, there will be a cap inside the filter slot. You need to pull it out by turning it counterclockwise.
- Line up the grooves of the new filter by pushing it in and slightly turning it right.
- Then install the filter by pushing it to lock it correctly in place.
- After this, you need to push up the filter door, and it will snap close.
- After this replacement, run four gallons of water through the dispenser. This is to confirm that the new filter is flushed properly.
- If this is the model of your water filter, then you can locate the filter cartridge cap on the left of the base grille in your refrigerator.
- Rotate this cap counterclockwise so that the handle is positioned vertically. Then pull out the filter cap from the slot.
- Slide off the end of the filter and remove the filter cap. Keep the cap and remove the old filter.
- Remove the protective coverings from the O-rings of your new filter. Check that the O-rings are in place after you remove the cover.
- Then insert the old cartridge cap on the end of the new filter.
- Keep the cap handle vertical when inserting the new filter into its slot. Push the new filter right into it and rotate the filter cap clockwise to make it horizontal.
- After this KitchenAid refrigerator water filter change, dispense four gallons of water to flush the new filter. Now your new filter is installed and ready for use.
What to Do When the Water Filter Won’t Come Out?
If your KitchenAid water filter is stuck and cannot be removed, then you can try the following troubleshooting tips depending on the type of filter.
- Base Grille Filters: Turn the filter cap about quarter-turn using pliers. Place a cloth over the filter cap before doing this, and you can even remove the grille if you need more space to turn it. If it is a push-button filter, you need to push the filter before pressing the eject button for the second time. Then press and hold the eject button for the filter to get disengaged.
- Interior Filters: Close the filter compartment door and open it fully. Then turn off the water supply to the refrigerator and remove any water left in the dispenser. Remove the shelving so that you have better access to the filter apartment. Then you can remove the old filter and replace it with a new one.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I reset my KitchenAid refrigerator after changing the water filter?
Reset the status after you change the water filter. To do this, press and hold the Water Filter button for 3 seconds. After the system resets, the water filter icon becomes blue color again. You will also see that the phrase “Replace Filter” disappears from the display.
Can you run a KitchenAid ice maker without a filter?
The water system will continue to operate as normal, even after removing the filter. This is because it will be bypassing the filter, and it will not slow the water dispensing or ice production. However, a new filter should be installed to have filtered water.
What happens if I don’t change my refrigerator water filter?
If the refrigerator water filter is not changed properly, it will cause scale and deposit buildup in the water dispenser and ice maker. This can damage your fridge as this clogging slows down water flow and result in contaminated water.
Where are the KitchenAid Superba water filters located?
The water filter cartridge cap is located in the front base grille, which you can remove by rotating the cap counterclockwise. Pull both the cap and filter cartridge out through the base grille when the cap positions vertically. Note that there will be water in the cartridge as you remove it.
You can ensure a better quality of the drinking water dispensed from your KitchenAid refrigerator water filter change. It also helps in regular maintenance and keeps your appliance hygienic for use. If you have similar problems with your KitchenAid appliances, here’s how you can solve the issue of your KitchenAid dishwasher not draining. You can also troubleshoot your KitchenAid oven not heating up.