It is necessary to figure out the wheel bearing brands to avoid as they can degrade the quality of your vehicle and even result in hazards. So here is a list of such brands that need to be avoided, and you can choose from the recommended models instead. Make sure to follow the guide when choosing a wheel bearing to match the requirements of your vehicle.
List of Wheel Bearing Brands to Avoid
- 1 List of Wheel Bearing Brands to Avoid
- 2 Recommended Wheel Bearing Brands
- 3 Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
The poor performance and low-quality build of these brands have resulted in losing the reliability of customers. Here are the models and the reasons that you need to avoid them.
1. MOOG 513179
MOOG is one of the most prominent wheel bearing suppliers in the market and has been in this automotive industry since 1919. They have a good reputation globally for their quality products. However, the model MOOG 513179 has failed to keep up this reputation of the company. Even though it was initially designed to reduce stress, heat, and rotation on components, it did not come out as planned.
Reasons to Avoid:
- Wheel bearing wears out quickly
- It does not last even five months
2. Timken HA590036
This is one of the most popular brands in the wheel bearing industry that manufactures quality products for all types of vehicles. But its model Timken HA590036 has failed to keep up its immunity to being a worse brand. Therefore, it is beneficial to keep out of this product when choosing a proper wheel bearing.
Reasons to Avoid:
- Poor quality wheel bearing
- Malfunctioning ABS sensor
- Heats up too easily
This is a global supplier in the wheel bearing industry, based in California. However, it lags in terms of quality and has some issues that affect the vehicle. Therefore, it is among the wheel-bearing brands to avoid.
Reasons to Avoid:
- Humming sounds after few months
- Create wheel vibration when turning
- Poor quality bearings
4. Detroit Axle
This is a 4WD front wheel bearing and hub assembly that is compatible with several vehicles such as Mercury Mountaineer and Ford Explorer. However, there are quality issues with this cheap product.
Reasons to Avoid:
- It gets worn out quickly
- It lasts only about 4 months
- It affects the longevity of tires
- Can cause safety concerns
5. Dorman 950001
Dorman has over 100 years of experience in the automobile wheel bearing industry. It is designed for Toyota models and can be installed right away without having to purchase additional wheel bearing parts. Despite being simple and fast, this model has failed to keep up the reliability of users due to certain reasons.
Reasons to Avoid:
- Premature wear
- Short lifespan
- Clunking noise after eight months
Recommended Wheel Bearing Brands
These are the recommended wheel-bearing brands that have been rated well by users in customer forums. The high quality and performance have ranked them among the top brands.
1. Timken SP500301 Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly
This model of Timken is highly reputed for its effectiveness and is considered one of the best wheel bearing brands. The manufacturer is renowned for products of the best performance and high quality. Therefore this is one of the prime wheel bearing equipment worth trying. A vehicle is most likely to lose its abilities when it’s heavy. However, this model of the front wheel bearing is structured to prevent additional friction and manage the heavy load efficiently. It has a seal, and a shield that prevents contamination boosts lubrication, and helps the material in the long run.
- Reduces noise vibration in the car
- The structured sensor detects the vehicle speed
- The seal prevents damage during installation
- High-quality alloy and steel gives toughness and longevity
- High durability and sustainability
- The sensor is susceptible and requires a standard safety package to prevent damage
2. Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly
This is another product worth buying and trying as it is one of the most popular brands in automotive replacement parts. This wheel bearing is produced under a well-defined environment and superior materials to provide the best performance and durability. This also has a specialized sensor to monitor the speed and can control friction in terms of the load.
- Special coating prevents it from rusting
- Eradicates vibration and irritating sound
- Ensures fuel efficiency
- Seals prevent damage when installation
- A high-quality alloy seal enhances durability
- Improper sensor maintenance can result in failure
3. MOOG 515036 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly
Its innovative design makes it popular automobile equipment, and the cost is worth it. This consists of a cutting-edge design that surpasses the expectations of performance. There are socket connections and ABS molded shields that forbid contamination and stimulates a longer life.
- ABS cord increases abrasion resistance
- Pre-fixed seals to minimize abnormal noises and loose steering
- Coating to resist corrosion and rust
- Smooth, reliable, and consistent performance
- High duty performance due to inbuilt ABS molded shield
- Inappropriate use of equipment might wear and tear the material
- This would fail the ABS sensor
4. Detroit Axle 515036 Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly
This is a top-quality wheel bearing that you cannot miss out on. It is manufactured with high-quality material and high-end specifications. It is made in an ISO9002 certified facility which makes it more reliable in terms of quality and durability. This model is compatible with many vehicle brands such as Chevrolet, Cadillac, and GMC. It can withstand heavy loads, even on rough terrains. It can be installed easily and comes with 6-lug applications and a 3-bolt flange.
- The product doesn’t get affected by adverse weather
- Provides ABS protection
- Compatibility with 4 wheel drive assembly
- Easy installation
- Longevity not guaranteed
5. Auto Shack HB613123PR Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly
This wheel bearing is compatible with most vehicles and lasts for a long time, possibly for the entire lifetime of the car. Therefore, this is one of the best options available in the global market. It has a high performance even on tough surfaces. It delivers a quality output as its design is made of modern tools. It also has sensors to monitor the wheel speed and increase efficiency.
- Direct fit for respective vehicles
- Compatible for almost all vehicles
- Has high-quality sensors
- The seal increases the lifespan of hub bearing
- Easy installation
- Coated with anti-corrosion lubricant
- Precise manufacturing
- Slightly expensive
- Bearings should be torqued with vehicle specifications to avoid failure of the operation.
This comprehensive guide brings you all the important factors and additional features that should be considered when purchasing a wheel bearing.
Things to Consider When Buying Wheel Bearing
Some factors need to be considered before purchasing a wheel bearing. Here are some considerations that would help make this decision and help you skip the wheel bearing brands to avoid.
Make and Model of the Car
As the wheel bearing should be compatible with your vehicle, you should know the make and model of the car. You can confirm this on your vehicle’s manual. Knowing the weight of your vehicle is also necessary when choosing a bearing. If you purchase a product that is not compatible with either of these, you might waste a lot of money.
Material of Wheel Bearing
It is necessary for the wheel bearing material to be resilient so that it can go back to its initial shape. The strength is also determined by the material of the wheel bearing. Choose a material that is resistant to corrosion as it would last longer.
Level of Thermal Conductivity
Choose a protective wheel bearing with high thermal conductivity so that it can protect the bearing from damage due to friction. It would also enhance durability, and you would be able to use the bearing for a long time without replacement.
As the market is vulnerable to many fake products, be aware of the authenticity of the wheel bearing you choose. You can research online and analyze the products based on the customer reviews first before purchasing. Check the reliability of the manufacturer so that you won’t invest in fake brands.
The average lifespan of wheel bearings is about 140,000 to 160,000 km. However, this might vary depending on the manufacturer, quality, and usage. Operating conditions and faulty installations would have an impact on the durability as well. So it is important to choose both the bearing and installer carefully.
Criteria for Choosing a Bearing
Check for these important features when choosing a wheel bearing for your vehicle.
- Loading system; axial load or radial load
- Sealing system
- Rotation speed
- Vibration and impact
Cost of Wheel Bearing
The average cost range from $400 to $600, including the labor costs. However, high-end products would have prices higher than this. Replacing wheels would increase this cost, and you can save some cost of labor if you know how to install them yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I replace my wheel bearings?
As wheel bearings would not fail instantly, you can identify when to replace wheel bearings with the signs it gives you. Extreme conditions would lock up, which leads to the inability of your vehicle to move. So replace them before reaching this level.
What are the signs of a bad wheel bearing?
- A humming or rumbling noise that increases with acceleration or as the vehicle turns, constant loud whining noise when the vehicle is in motion, and clunking noise when driving on uneven roads.
- Looseness or excessive play in the steering wheel.
- Steering wheel vibration with the vehicle speed or when the vehicle turns.
- ABS malfunctioning.
What happens if a wheel bearing breaks while driving?
In case the wheel bearing breaks, the wheel would wobble due to additional pressure applied to the wheel.
As there are many cheap brands of wheel bearing in the market, you need to avoid these worst wheel bearing brands for the better health of your vehicle. As you have identified these products, you would be able to find the ideal product with the relevant guidelines. If you are working on upgrading your vehicle, make sure to avoid these Worst Tire Brands as well.