The Maytag dishwasher won’t start due to various reasons such as power connectivity issues, inadequate water supply, and selection of various modes on the control panel. Other defective parts of the dishwasher can also lead to this problem, and hence, it needs proper troubleshooting to diagnose the issues. This guide provides comprehensive information on how each possible cause should be accessed and how to determine the faults. Follow these steps closely for better results of troubleshooting.
Reasons Why Your Maytag Dishwasher Won’t Start
Here are some reasons behind a Maytag dishwasher that would not start and how to identify each problem. Before you start, read the following.
CAUTION: Do not attempt any troubleshooting or repairing unless you have completely switched off the power supply to the appliance. You may use other precautionary steps and PPEs to avoid any personal harm and occurrence of hazards.
1. Dishwasher Is Not Getting Power
If your Maytag dishwasher doesn’t start, then you should first start by checking the power supply. Your dishwasher would not turn on if it does not get the required power. So here are some power issues that might occur in your appliance.
- Power Switch Turned Off: Sometimes, the main switch on your appliance might be turned off mistakenly. This switch may be under the sink, and check whether it is turned on before you start looking for faults.
- Extension Power Cord: Extension cords cannot provide enough power for a large appliance such as a dishwasher. So if you have plugged it into an extension cord, make sure to plug it into a properly working power outlet with a standard cord.
- Breaker or Fuse Issues: You should also check your home’s main circuit board to check whether there are any tripped breakers or blown fuses. If so, replacing the blown fuses and resetting tripped breakers would solve the power issues.
- Main Control Board: If the main control board does not work properly, then the power would not be distributed to each component correctly. This would prevent the dishwasher from starting and running. Since it is difficult to check this for errors, you might have to replace the main control board after you have checked all other components listed here.
Sometimes, the Maytag dishwasher power problem can be resolved by turning it off and switching it on again. After you turn it off, make sure to wait for about one minute before you turn on the power again.
2. Door Not Fully Closed and Latched
If the dishwasher door is not completely closed and latched, the Maytag dishwasher will not start as a safety precaution. Sometimes, the door might not close properly due to a protruding dishwasher rack. So make sure that the racks are inserted properly and push the door firmly when closing to ensure that the latch is fully engaged. If the latch is broken, then the door would not close securely to start the cycle. You would have to replace the latch to start the dishwasher.
3. Need to Change Dishwasher Cycle Settings
The dishwasher starts only if a cycle is selected. So make sure to select the required function before you press Start on the control panel. When some functions are enabled, the immediate Start might be prevented. These functions will be indicated on the control panel by light or an icon. Some of these functions are indicated here.
- Control Lock: This function prevents unintended use of the dishwasher, and to turn off this, you need to refer to your user manual of the model. Usually, this Control Lock function can be disabled by holding down the respective button for 3 seconds continuously.
- Sleep Mode: If your dishwasher is installed after a long time without being used, then it might be in sleep mode. So it might not respond when you press a button. You can disable this by pressing the Start button or opening and closing the door.
- Delayed Start: Delayed Start might be due to a preset time given mistakenly. You can disable this by pressing the Cancel or Drain button and then pressing the Start button.
If you find that these functions are not turned on, and the dishwasher still does not respond to any button, then the control panel might be damaged. Sometimes a control panel would not work when wet and star to work again when dry. But this is hazardous, and the control panel needs to be replaced immediately.
4. Replace the Timer
The dishwasher timer is the component that ensures that the power flows to the proper areas at the right times to enable the cycle process. If the timer is faulty, then the dishwasher might not start the cycle. Since dishwashers cannot be tested and diagnosed easily, technicians might sometimes claim them to be defective even when they are working properly. So before you replace the timer, check all other components and clarify them. The timer can be replaced after turning off the power. After the new timer is fixed, turn on the dishwasher to see whether it works.
5. Dishwasher Water Supply Issue
If your Maytag dishwasher has no adequate water, then it would prevent the dishwasher from starting. To troubleshoot this, you can try out the following ways.
- Improper Waterline Connection: Check whether the hose is connected properly to the water pipe and the dishwasher at both ends and that the supply valve is turned on.
- Bent or Broken Water Supply: If you see that the hose is bent or pinched, you should straighten it to allow proper water to flow through it to the dishwasher. If the hose is damaged, then replace it with a new one.
- Faulty Water Inlet Valve: If the inlet valve does not open properly, then it should be replaced to allow water to enter the dishwasher.
6. Check the Thermal Fuse
The thermal fuse would blow off when it overheats to shut off the power to the dishwasher. This prevents any possible damage to the dishwasher and safeguards it. So, your Maytag dishwasher won’t start until you replace the thermal fuse. You can check the thermal fuse by following the steps indicated below.
- Make sure the dishwasher’s power is turned off before starting.
- You can locate the thermal fuse as it is in the door console.
- Use a multimeter to test the continuity of the thermal fuse.
- If the thermal fuse shows no continuity, then it needs to be replaced. If it does have continuity, this means that the fuse has not blown, and you should check for any other possible faults.
7. Touchpad and Control Panel
This might be another reason that the dishwasher will not start. To check whether there are any faults in the touchpad or the control panel, you should follow this procedure.
- For this diagnosis, you need to make sure that the power is switched on.
- Press each button separately to check whether each one responds in the required way.
- If you find that one or more of the buttons do not respond, then you would have to replace the touchpad.
- If the buttons work correctly, then you can try a Maytag dishwasher reset of the control panel. All you need to do is to unplug it from the power supply for one minute and then turn on the power again. This would reset the control panel and check whether it has fixed the problem.
- If the Maytag dishwasher reset of the control panel does not fix the problem, then the issue must be something else.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a Maytag dishwasher diagnostic mode?
To run diagnostics, you need to press “High Temp Wash” and “Heated Dry,” alternatively four and three times, respectively. If there is no “Heated Dry” button available, you can use the “Air Dry” or “Energy Saver Dry” button for this.
Is there a fuse in a dishwasher?
Yes, the thermal fuse of a dishwasher is located in the control panel area. To check this, you would have to remove the control panel and check the continuity of the thermal fuse.
What is the average life of a Maytag dishwasher?
The average lifespan of Maytag dishwashers is 10 years. However, according to consumer reports, nearly 30% of dishwashers face problems or break within the first five years. You can increase the longevity of your dishwasher by maintaining it properly.
How do I disconnect the power to my dishwasher?
- Turn off the power and remove the front panel. Use a voltage tester to check and confirm that the power is off.
- Next, disconnect the water supply and drain accordingly.
- Now you can pull out the dishwasher for troubleshooting and inspection.
Can a plumber fix a dishwasher?
No, a dishwasher should be repaired only by an experienced appliance repair technician. Plumbers can only fix issues related to pipes and waterlines.
Some of the main reasons behind the Maytag dishwasher problems are discussed here. The steps and procedures indicated here would help you troubleshoot your dishwasher easily and efficiently. This guide would help you to save the time and money that you might have to spend on getting professional help in the diagnosis. However, if you encounter problems that are beyond your knowledge and if you find them complex to solve, it is highly recommended to contact your technician to handle them.
Suppose you figure out that your dishwasher is too old to be repaired at a low cost, and if it is not worth the trouble, you can choose to replace it with a new one. If you are going for a new dishwasher, be aware of these Dishwasher Brands to Avoid.